This week at SCOTUS: A cert. petition was filed in Bartee v. United States, No. 17-175 on July 28, 2017. In United States v. Bartee, 76 M.J. 141 (C.A.A.F. Mar. 15, 2017) (CAAFlog case page), a majority of CAAF concluded that there was no systemic exclusion of court-martial members on the basis of rank despite the fact that the convening order duplicated an earlier order that was found to have systemically excluded.
The Solicitor General received a second extension of time to respond to the cert. petition in Alexander. I'm not aware of any other military justice developments at the Supreme Court, where I'm tracking seven cases:
- Dalmazzi v. United States, No. 16-961 (pend. conf.) (CAAFlog case page)
- Cox, et al., v. United States, No. 16-1017 (pend. conf.) (Dalmazzi trailers)
- Ortiz v. United States, No. 16-1423 (pet. filed May 19; resp. due Aug. 18) (CAAFlog case page)
- Alexander v. United States, No. 16-9536 (pet. dktd Jun. 13; resp. due Sep. 13)
- Tso v. United States, No. 17A40 (ext. of time to file granted to Sep. 29)
- Bartee v. United States, No. 17-175 (pet. filed Jul. 28; resp. due Sep. 1) (CAAFlog case page)
- Abdirahman, et al. v. United States, No 17-____ (pet. filed Jul. 31)
This week at CAAF: CAAF has completed its oral argument calendar for the term. A detailed list of this term's cases is available on our October 2016 Term Page. The first oral argument date for the next term is October 10, 2017.
This week at the ACCA: The Army CCA will hear oral argument in one case this week, on Tuesday, August 8, 2017, at 10 a.m.:
I. [Appellant] is entitled to a new sentencing hearing because of the Government's Brady violation, the Government's fraud on the court-martial and the military judge's exclusion of Mullah Baraan's ties to IED evidence.
II. The military judge erred by failing to hold a Kastigar hearing to determine the extent the military judge's mistaken disclosure of Fifth Amendment protected information affected the sentencing hearing.
This week at the AFCCA: The Air Force CCA's website shows no scheduled oral arguments.
This week at the CGCCA: I can't access the Coast Guard CCA's oral argument schedule.
This week at the NMCCA: The Navy-Marine Corps CCA's website shows no scheduled oral arguments.
Original Page: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/caaflog/~3/tN_29N-hL7Q/
Sent from my iPad